Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Art Intimidating Life: The Ruins of my Mental Empire - Part Seventeen


know what you know - take it with you - a jungle of days and nights - a circle of friends circling around you - a hoard of enemies make their way down the dirt road - chanting and stamping their feet - beating their chests and point in your direction - know what you know and carry it with you - blue diamond eyes and the flowers in her hair - that's something - that's the dust in the country bar and the simple guitar music that played there - the people were friendless and they only had one way to spend their remaining days, and it was there, in the yellow sun-lit dust of the country bar - drinking and watching the horses slowly die in the paddocks outside - you ordered a beer, and took a seat at a small table in the back corner - your back to the wall, fearful you'd just taken someone's "spot" - the bartender started calling for the number fourteen - the lost souls he served each day tried to dodge and rob him - rob his money - a mumble of lost souls drinking their remaining days away - i see you sitting there - so i finish my beer and quietly leave via the back door

fourteen - fourteen - fourteen - for miles i walked - miles of road and weed and dust and yellow sun keeping it distance from the storm clouds all the way on the other side of the sky - black cloulds angry with lightening - i knew eventually one of them was going to get me - was going to come and get me in the end - my feet were sore and my boots worn down to a cracked and thinning sole - the weeds irritated me, as there was nothing left around - the continous spread of pesting life on earth

after the fourth day the road began to thin and bend slightly - i finally felt like i was moving and headed towards something - i felt like i'd returned to earth - the thoughts of food and clean water and somewhere to rest easy spirited my lost soul and i walked faster - my friends were waiting for me when i arrived - a circle of friends hugging my tired frail body - i hadn't eaten anything except for weeds for five days - they fed me bread and salads and gave me water to drink - they took me inside and i slept in their guest room with the nice wallpaper - i must have slept for days and nights and days again - momentarially interupted by spood-fed soup and bread - i was soon again rested and walked to the small window of the guest room - outside stood a giant old tree with purple and orange leaves that were at peace with the wind and sunset - despire my circle of friends pleading with me to keep resting, i insisted on walking outside to look and study the tree - transfixed, mesmerised and tantalised - maybe i was delerious, and maybe i was right, but this tree was the centre point of the world's wisdom - my friends joined me as tears flowed like a funeral, shared amongst us all, in silence

in silence, until the chanting and stamping of their feet made it's way down the dirt road

No comments:

Post a Comment